Is College Introduced Too Early?

Is College Introduced Too Early?

T4s are in the middle of the college chaos: recovering from rejections, submitting applications one minute before the deadline, or still deciding where to apply. All of this on top of the IB curriculum. T3s are just getting started with the process: going to college informational meetings, setting up Naviance, getting assigned college counselors, etc. T2s are getting introduced to the idea of college with a minimal amount of programs and meetings. And finally, as crazy it may seem, T1s are also being presented with the idea of college.

But this may be necessary. As years go by, getting into college is becoming increasingly harder, so T1s need to be prepared. In a 2014 Atlantic article, Jacoba Urist wrote, “The bad news is that getting into any specific school is less likely than it was a few years ago, and certainly more difficult than it was 15 years ago, because the number of strong applicants to selective schools has mushroomed” and that students on average apply to “10 or 15 schools.” But is this realistic? Isn’t it too early for 14-year-olds to start thinking about college when they have just finished the first semester of high school? a UNIS T1 parent and beloved Middle School guidance counselor Jared Smith would agree.

When asked about his opinion on when the idea of college should be introduced to T1s, Mr. Smith stated that he “would love if it was introduced later in a Tut House student’s career.” Students coming in from M4 are overwhelmed as is, having to make the jump from middle to high school. Adding onto to this stress is unwarranted, and can become a lot for T1s. This academic year, the first college-related meeting was on November 5th, barely a month into school. For T1s just getting used to being on the other side of the fourth floor, the idea of college can be a lot, to say the least.

But according to Mr. Smith, there is logic behind the early introduction of college. “With all the requirements for IB that take up all a student’s mental bandwidth in the later Tut House years, they actually don’t have the time to introduce it later so they have to get it on the record early. Thinking about college, in relation to managing the IB, is what introduces unwarranted stress for students.Most American schools don’t even talk about it until junior year (T3).” That is what makes UNIS different; the rigor of the school (due to the IB diploma program, leaves the college counselors with no choice but to start the college process earlier.

Mr. Greene, a college counselor at UNIS, was able to share great pieces of advice on how to prepare for college and simultaneously manage the stress that comes with the process.  According to him, the key word for everyone going through the college process is “balance.” Students in T1 need to have a process in which they ask questions and get them answered, thus obtaining knowledge about college in general.Another thing T1 students have to keep in mind is organization;a common mistake students make is miss deadlines, something which can accumulate stress during T3 and T4 years. The college counselors actually want to “minimize as much stress as possible,” and by keeping up with deadlines you can do so. In addition, an important thing Mr. Greene noted, and something that all UNIS students should  keep in mind, is that “college talk should stay at a minimum.”, meaning students should try not to compare themselves to their peers. While this may stimulate a sense of friendly competition in the academic setting, often comparing yourself to others hurts your self-esteem.

The college process is a four-year long journey that seems to never end. Throughout it there needs to be some degree of fun and some degree of awareness.It is important to keep in mind that all of your high school grades will be seen by colleges, but it is also important to remember that grades aren’t necessarily the most important part of one’s application.So overall, a message from a fellow high schooler; , have some fun , keep up with deadlines and keep in mind college counselors and your parents just want to support you through this process.